ANTs: Lakwena Maciver
Visual podcast with the artist Lakwena Maciver.
Lakwena Maciver is a London-based artist with mixed Ugandan and British heritage. She is best known for her public murals painted internationally. She has created work from installations at Tate Britain, Somerset House, Facebook and the Southbank Centre in London, to a juvenile detention centre in Arkansas, a monastery in Vienna, and the Bowery Wall in New York City. Her work, primarily text-based, employs a combination of words, bold pattern and acid-bright colour to subtly subvert prevailing mythologies in mass media. @Lakwena
During this conversation we will be covering a variety of questions from her artwork, creating opportunity, University experience and the challneges and opportunities she faces as a Christian.
Here is an overview of the recording.
- 1:00 – Discussing Lakwena’s artwork. (Images on screen)
- 4:00 – The place of text in her artwork. (Images on screen)
- 8:02 – Balancing client’s ideas with your own vision. (Images on screen)
- 9:32 – Technicalities of large-scale work and colours. (Images on screen)
- 11:04 – How do you glorify God in your work in a practical sense (day by day)?
- 14:27 – How do you start formulating your Christian understanding with what you create?
(*Interface is an old term for Arts Network)
- 17:23 – Challenges and opportunities you face as a Christian student at University?
(*UAL – University of Arts London)
- 19:40 – How to make of your time most at University; what advice would you give?
- 24:00 – How do you get opportunities after graduating?
- 26:20 – How do you deal with rejections or failures?
- 29:53 – How did you get your ‘big’ projects?
- 33:50 – Non-Christian voices influencing work.
The books Lakwena refers to are…